How much is the average software engineering salary by country?
That’s what you’ll learn today. In this post, you’ll find the average salaries in the United States, European Union, India, and many more. We compared data from over a dozen countries where software engineering is growing and thriving.
Ready to learn more? Here are the results!
Which country pays software engineers the most?
Which country comes out on top for software engineering salaries? The United States is highest on the list, with Israel and several European countries trailing behind.
The top three in our comparison are: the United States, Switzerland, and Israel.
Denmark, Canada, and Norway are next, with Australia, the UK, Germany, and Sweden rounding out the top 10.
|1. United States||$110,140|
|8. United Kingdom||$55,275|
The Average Software Engineering Salary by Country
What are the average software engineering salaries around the world?
The best-paying countries are the US, Israel, and several European countries. However, even within a country, there can be big differences, as developers in major cities tend to get better paid than developers living outside of urban areas.
The highest paying countries in our research are:
But what about the rest of the world? Which countries have the lowest software engineering salaries? Below is a sample list of countries with the lowest salaries for developers.
As you can see, developing countries like Nigeria pay the lowest at $7,255/year. India, a country where Western companies tend to outsource their technical needs, has an average yearly salary of $7,725. Developers in Eastern European countries can expect a significantly lower salary than their Western colleagues. In Poland a developer will typically make $22,740, and in Ukraine, the average is $22,348.
Which country has the highest demand for software engineers?
Overall, software development is the most in-demand profession in the world. According to PageGroup, the countries with the highest demand for software developers are Canada, Australia, Russia, Sweden, and New Zealand. As there is a shortage of developers, salaries also tend to be higher.
The Average Software Engineering Salary in the US
The average software developer salary in the US is $110,140 per year or $9,178 per month. The average junior developer salary is $69,354 per year or $5,779 per month. The average senior developer salary, on the other hand, is $104,188 per year or $8,682 per month.
Extremely high and varying salaries for leads and head of’s, especially in the Bay Area, bring the national average up, but there can be big differences between states and cities. Here are the top-paying states and cities in the US:
Software engineering salaries in the US by state
What are the top-paying US states for software developers? Not surprisingly, California is the highest paying state for software engineers with a median salary of $146,770. Washington is ranked second, and Maryland comes in third place.
|4. New York||$129,950|
|5. Rhode Island||$128,790|
Software engineering salaries in the US by city
The top-paying cities in the US include San Jose ($167,420), San Francisco ($158,320), and Seattle ($148,200). Interestingly, some nonmetropolitan areas offer similar median wages, such as the Southern Vermont and Eastern Oregon nonmetropolitan areas, where a software developer can earn $133,050 and $125,310, respectively.
Highest Paid Metro Areas
|San Jose/Sunnyvale/Santa Clara||$167,420|
|New York/Newark/Jersey City||$133,620|
Highest Paid Nonmetropolitan Areas
Software engineering salaries by programming language in the US
If we look at programming languages, it’s clear that some of them pay better than others. Popular backend languages like Go and Python top the list. However, these are average salaries, so there can be big differences depending on where a developer is located.
● Go is the best-paid language at $120,577.
● Ruby comes in second place at $119,558.
● Python pays an average of $114,904.
● The average salary for Java is $112,013.
● Android developers make on average $109,377.
● iOS has a slightly lower average salary compared to Android, at $108,783.
● And Rust isn’t far behind, $108,744.
● C pays an average of $101,734.
● PHP typically pays $92,867.
● And out of these languages, SQL pays the least; $85,845.
Software engineering salaries by job title in the US
Job titles can make a big difference for tech talent. While software developers get paid an average of $110,140, programmers are, on average, paid $105,310.
- Software developers and software quality assurance analysts and testers are paid, on average, $110,140.
- Software and web developers, programmers, and testers trail close behind, at $105,310.
- Computer occupations are paid $91,250.
The Average Software Engineering Salary in Europe
What’s the average software developer salary in Europe? The average salary is lower than in the US, but benefits and cost of living tend to outweigh some of those differences.
Overall, European countries differ a lot between East and West. Western European developers make at least $40,000+ a year, whereas developers in Eastern Europe can expect significantly less, around $20,000+ a year. Southern European developers are also paid less than their Northern counterparts. Developers in Spain, Italy, Portugal, and Greece can expect between $21,314 to $36,323 per year.
|The Czech Republic||$29,721|
The average software engineering salary in Switzerland
The average software developer salary in Switzerland is $97,518 or $8,126 per month.
As is the case most often, developers in bigger cities tend to get better paid; in Switzerland, developers in Zurich are paid, on average, $110,123 or $9,176 per month.
In terms of programming language, there are some differences reflected in salaries:
- SQL developers are paid the most in Switzerland, $108,868.
- Golang pays an average of $108,827.
- Rust is the third-highest paid language at $108,308.
- The average yearly salary for Android is $104,256.
- Python developers are paid $100,315.
- Whereas iOS developers get paid $96,161.
- Ruby developers are worth $93,280.
- And Java developers get paid, on average, $91,706.
- PHP developers get paid $88,131.
The average software engineering salary in the United Kingdom
The average developer salary in the United Kingdom is $55,275 per year or $4,606 per month.
However, the average software developer salary in London is significantly higher; $73,993 per year or $6,166 per month.
Average salaries can vary a lot depending on the language. For instance, the average salary for Ruby is far higher than for PHP or SQL.
- Ruby developers are paid the most in the UK, $85,354.
- Golang pays $79,726, and Rust $73,593.
- iOS developers tend to be paid $73,147.
- Python developers have an average salary of $67,570.
- Java developers are paid $46,774.
- Android developers are paid $44,112.
- And last on the list are SQL developers at $39,973, and PHP developers at $36,832.
The average software engineering salary in Germany
The average software developer salary in Germany is $52,913 per year or $4,409 per month.
As usual, there is a significant difference between cities and the rest of the country; a software developer in Berlin will typically get paid $65,524 per year, while Munich-based developers are paid a little more; approximately $66,880 per year.
What about programming languages, then? The best-paid languages in Germany are Golang at $65,533 and Ruby at $63,616.
- Golang pays $65,533 and Ruby pays $63,616.
- Rust comes in third place at $62,827.
- iOS developers are paid $62,586.
- PHP developers come in fifth place at $59,020.
- Android developers are paid $56,572.
- SQL developers in Germany earn, on average, $56,391.
- Finally, Java developers are paid $52,404.
The average software engineering salary in France
In France, software developers make an average of $43,849 every year or $3,654 per month.
In terms of languages, Golang is the best-paid language at $50,622 per year. Ruby comes in second place, while PHP and Java pay the least.
- Golang is the best-paid language at $50,622.
- On average, Ruby pays $48,581.
- SQL pays $47,619.
- Python is in fourth place at $46,964.
- iOS pays slightly more than Android, $43,501 versus $42,020.
- PHP pays $40,566, and Java comes in last place at $40,160.
Average Salaries in Other High-Paying Countries
Let's take a look at other high-paying countries around the world where local developers are still well paid compared to their local cost-of-living:
The average software engineering salary in Israel
In Israel, the average yearly software developer salary is $71,559 per year or $5,963 per month. Junior developers make $69,851 per year or $5,820 per month, whereas senior developers make $114,751 per year or $9,562 per month. Software developers in Tel Aviv are typically paid $90,788 per year or $7,565 per month.
As for languages, Golang ($109,702 per year) and Python ($83,369 per year) pay the most. PHP and, surprisingly, Ruby pay the least in Israel, $64,573 and $64,525 per year respectively.
- Golang devs make an average of $109,702.
- Python developers make $83,369.
- Mobile developers are paid the third and fourth-best; Android developers are paid $78,558 per year and iOS developers are paid $76,692 per year.
- Java developers are paid $74,251.
- SQL developers are paid $65,770 in Israel.
- PHP ($64,573) and Ruby ($64,525) are the worst-paid languages in Israel.
The average software engineering salary in Japan
The average developer salary is $36,024 per year or $3,002 per month in Japan. Software developers in Tokyo are paid slightly more on average, $45,552 per year or $3,796 per month. Junior developers get paid $26,553 per year or $2,212 per month. Senior software developers get paid $53,773 per year or $4,481 per month.
In terms of programming languages, iOS pays the most with Ruby in second place. SQL and Java are the worst-paid programming languages in Japan.
- iOS developers make $72,194, the highest on the list.
- Ruby pays $53,128 per year while Golang $51,652 per year.
- Android developers make an average of $38,730 per year in Japan.
- PHP developers are paid, on average, $33,625 per year.
- SQL developers are paid $31,815 and Java developers are paid the least, $23,623 per year.
The average software engineering salary in India
The average software developer salary in India is $7,725 per year or $643 per month. Developers in New Delhi are paid slightly more, at $10,211 per year or $851 per month. Junior developers are paid $5,488 or $457 per month. Senior developers, on the other hand, are paid $11,999 per year or $1,000 per month.
Ruby is the highest-paid programming language in India at $12,372 per year. Android is the lowest paid language at $5,181. Here’s the full list:
- Ruby developers in India are the best paid at $12,372 per year.
- Golang is the second-highest-paid language at $10,446.
- Java comes in second at $9,519 per year.
- iOS developers get paid $8,577 per year.
- Python developers make $7,506 per year, and PHP developers earn $3,717.
- SQL developers are, on average, paid $5,688.
- Android developers are paid $5,181 per year and are the lowest paid software developers in India.
The Average Software Engineering Salary in the Philippines
In the Philippines, the average software developer salary is $7,936 per year or $661 per month. Junior developers are paid $5,256 per year and $438 per month. Senior software developers in the Philippines are paid $13,164 per year or $1,097 per month. In Manila, the average salary is slightly higher, $8,772 per year or $731 per month.
In terms of specific languages, Java pays the most in the Philippines at $10,833 per year. iOS pays the worst; iOS developers in the Philippines can expect to earn $3,059 per year.
- Java pays the most in the Philippines, and Java developers are paid, on average, $10,833 per year.
- Golang is the second-best paid language at $9,928 per year.
- Python developers earn $8,888 per year in the Philippines.
- PHP developers make $8,748 per year.
- The average salary for Ruby developers is $6,742 per year.
- SQL developers make $6,698 per year.
- Android developers make $6,338 per year.
The Average Software Engineering Salary in Nigeria
The average software developer salary in Nigeria is $7,255 per year. For junior developers, this means $1,453 per year or $121 per month, while senior software developers make $14,182 per year or $1,181 per month.
Developers in Abuja make slightly less than the national average, $5,808 per year or $484 per month.
- Ruby developers make, on average, $12,110 in Nigeria.
- Golang developers are paid $7,266 per year.
- Python developers are paid $7,225, while SQL developers make $5,650 per year.
- iOS developers can expect to earn $4,844/year.
- Java developers make $4,640 per year.
- Android and PHP developers earn $3,875 per year and $3,482 per year, respectively.
The Average Software Engineering Salary by City, Globally
If we compare software engineer salaries in different cities across the globe, US cities come out on top as the highest-paid cities. San Jose is the best-paid city for the average software developer at $167,420 per year, with San Francisco trailing closely behind ($158,320). Software developers get paid the least in Abuja, Nigeria in this comparison ($5,808). Here is a summary of the cities we looked at for the article:
- San Jose is the best-paid city ($167,420).
- San Francisco is close behind. Here, software developers can expect an average salary of $158,320.
- Seattle, WA comes in third place at $148,220.
- Baltimore, MD comes in fourth place at $137,510.
- Santa Cruz is also home to well-paid developers; here, software developers earn an average of $134,680.
- Washington D.C. comes in at #5 ($133,850/year), and New York comes in sixth, where developers earn, on average, $133,620.
- San Diego, CA (#7) boasts an average salary of $133,580, while the typical salary in Napa, CA (#8) is $131,930. Developers in Sacramento, CA (#9) earn an average salary of $130,690.
- In Zurich, Switzerland (#10), software developers can expect an average salary of $110,123.
- Tel Aviv-based developers are among the best-paid developers internationally at $90,788/year.
- In London, developers can expect to get paid an average of $73,993/year.
- Munich-based developers are paid slightly better than Berlin developers at $66,880/year, while their Berlin counterparts are paid $65,524/year.
- In Tokyo, developers average $45,552 per year.
- However, in New Delhi, the average salary drops quite a bit. Here, developers are paid $10,211/year.
- In Manila (Philippines), developers are paid $8,772.
- In Abuja, Nigeria, the average developer makes $5,808 per year.
The Average Software Engineering Salary by Programming Language
The average salaries across all ten countries in our comparison are:
Junior Software Engineering Salaries by Country
If we look at the average junior software engineer salary by country, we can see that some of the otherwise higher-paying countries slide down in the rankings. For instance, the US is third on the list with Switzerland and Israel jumping ahead. German junior software developers get paid better than those in the UK, France, and Japan, and Nigerian junior developers are remunerated more than those in India or the Philippines.
Senior Software Engineering Salaries by Country
How do senior software developer salaries compare? Here is the average senior software developer salary by country.
Switzerland tops the list again with Israel in second and the US third. German senior developers make slightly more than those in the UK, who, again, earn more than senior software developers based in France and Japan. Out of developing countries, Nigeria leads the comparison with India last.
Over to you!
There you have it. That’s the list of the average software engineering salaries around the world!
As you can see, there are big differences between individual countries. Software development is, still, one of the most highly sought-after and best-paid professions in the world.
Want to learn more about hiring the right developers for your team?