Looking for the best HackerRank alternatives?
You might be familiar with HackerRank as a coding challenge platform. But what about alternatives? What tools are out there, and what do they offer? Here are the best coding challenge platforms.
Founded in 2012, HackerRank is one of the biggest technical interview platforms. The company offers online technical assessments, real-time code-pair sessions, and take-home challenges.
Who is HackerRank for?
HackerRank is best suited for corporations and multinationals that need a robust and compliance-friendly system.
- Various assessment options (both screening and assessment tools)
- Enterprise-level features
- Online reviewers frequently say that HackerRank’s challenges don’t always work well for their intended purpose.
- Pricing is out of reach for smaller teams
CodeSubmit was founded in 2019. It’s the most flexible and candidate-friendly solution for administering and evaluating coding assignments and technical interviews via take-home coding challenges. We also offer Bytes, which are shorter assignments aimed at screening a larger pool of candidates.
Who is CodeSubmit for?
CodeSubmit works great for teams of various sizes and offers flexible pricing for startups, small businesses, and enterprise teams.
- All subscriptions include access to an extensive library of ready-to-go coding challenges. The CodeSubmit library currently includes over 50 of the most popular languages, frameworks, and technologies used by frontend, backend, and mobile teams worldwide (more than any competitor). You can also upload your own existing challenges.
- Designed with candidate experience in mind
- Flexible subscription options for teams of various sizes and hiring needs
- Integrates with the most popular applicant tracking systems
- CodeSubmit is newly founded, so some enterprise-grade features may still be under development. However, our team is very responsive to your team’s wishes and needs.
CoderByte offers candidate screening, interviewing, and project functionalities. Their "for companies" offering became available in 2018.
Who is Coderbyte for?
CoderByte offers many integrations and customization options, making it a good choice for teams with particular needs.
- Advanced customizability and integrations
- One of the cheapest options available
- The candidate experience is sometimes suboptimal (as reported by users)
- Only 18 languages supported
- Their library is full of templates, as opposed to ready-to-go assignments
Founded in 2009, Codility is one of the older skill-testing platforms. This skill-testing platform is similar to HackerRank but at a lower price point.
Who is Codility for?
Codility is a good option for enterprise-level organizations that need robust compliance. This assessment tool also works well for less tech-savvy hiring managers.
- Includes features that make it easy to compare programmers’ skills, so it’s ideal for non-technical hiring managers.
- Offers advanced compliance features
- For teams with true coding skill assessment needs, Codility’s screening tests might not be sufficient.
LeetCode is primarily a platform for developers to enhance their skills and prepare for interviews. It also offers some features for businesses wanting to assess candidates.
Who is LeetCode for?
LeetCode is primarily for developers who want to practice for interviews.
- Interview prep challenges for software developers.
- If you’re specifically looking for a skill assessment tool, this one is not likely to send you the strongest signals.
- Candidates who’ve completed LeetCode training will already be familiar with your coding challenge.
CodeSignal offers three functionalities: screening tools, real-time interviewing tools, and Certify, a proctored coding assessment test. Additionally, CodeSignal offers tests for developers to practice their interview skills.
Who is CodeSignal for?
Fast-growing companies looking to scale their top-of-funnel hiring efforts quickly.
- A sleek UI, which makes it easy to set up screening tests and invite candidates.
- Some of their plagiarism detection features (e.g., video recording) put off candidates and create unnecessary stress that can actually hinder your candidates from performing at their normal level (resulting in a false-negative signal for your hiring team so that you miss out on great candidates!)
HackerEarth was created as a platform for corporate hackathons. Today, it also includes code screening and pair programming interview functions.
Who is HackerEarth for?
Companies that have too many applicants and want to filter candidates early on in the process.
- Easy to get started
- Robust tools to fight plagiarism
- Favors candidates who’ve prepared and practiced for a technical screening interview over candidates with actual real-world programming skills. This could mean that your hiring team ends up with false positives and miss out on great candidates.
Looking for HackerRank alternatives? Meet CodeSubmit:
If HackerRank isn't checking all of your boxes, then CodeSubmit might be the right fit for you. Our clients say:
“The whole assessment process and hiring experience are just so much better for our hiring managers and candidates."
“A great way to test candidates. Very hands-on approach and it is quite easy to see how relevant it is towards the job.”
“A very cool approach for a hiring test!”
CodeSubmit: The all-in-one coding challenge software
CodeSubmit is a powerful HackerRank alternative with all the features you need to run effective technical hiring processes. We built CodeSubmit to replace later-stage in-person technical interviews like whiteboarding. Take-home assignments empower your team to identify great candidates using real tasks while also providing a top-notch candidate experience.
Our software is intuitive and easy to use, with a strong focus on the candidate experience. We know that a great candidate experience has benefits beyond the hiring process and enables your team to attract and retain the best talent. Each step of the CodeSubmit interview is designed to provide strong signals and insights into your candidate’s real skill set.
Choose from a library of assignments covering 50+ languages and frameworks to identify and test for the exact skills and competencies that matter to your team. Or, upload the one you’ve been using with great success, and benefit from our suite of review features that make collaboration across the hiring team super simple.
Works for small teams
Works for entreprises
Flexible monthly billing option
Huge library of real-world coding challenges
CodeSubmit vs. HackerRank features
Supports languages AND frameworks
CodeSubmit supports 50+ languages, frameworks, and technologies See the full list here
HackerRank supports 35+ languages but does not support framework-specific skills
Library of take-home coding assignments
200+ unique coding challenges to choose from
Provides screening tests
Candidates can use their own tools/workflows
CodeSubmit administers assignments through our private Git
All subscriptions include an unlimited number of seats
CodeSubmit offers industry-leading take-home coding challenges.
Traditional whiteboarding challenges won’t help you identify top developers. In fact, they often work to exclude qualified candidates.
Take-home coding challenges show you a person’s real-world skills by simulating real tasks.
While there are plenty of take-home assignment tools to choose from, few of them have all the features your hiring team needs.
We created CodeSubmit after working in tech hiring for years and sitting on both sides of the interview table. With CodeSubmit, your team can create coding assignments specific to each unique open role and each team's unique stack. Identify the best performers, and create an unbeatable candidate experience with meaningful take-homes.
Identify the right candidates
CodeSubmit assessments get to the core of your candidates’ skill set. Tasks are scored based on customizable criteria, such as assignment completeness, code readability, documentation, and code elegance, to help you fully understand a developer’s skills. Every assessment contains evaluation criteria related to the work your engineers face in their day-to-day.
Library assignments designed by experts
We offer a library of coding challenges that you can use to set up your interview process in a matter of clicks. If you're already using an awesome assignment, you can upload it to the app and invite candidates.
Create assignments in over 50 languages and frameworks
We support over 50 languages and frameworks - more than any other technical interview platform on the market. Choose an assignment based on skill type or experience level.
CodeSubmit creates a great candidate experience
To attract world-class candidates, you need to be known for providing a world-class candidate experience. That’s what CodeSubmit offers.
Our candidates often self-report an excellent experience, whether they end up receiving an offer or not.
In fact, 92% of all candidates who use CodeSubmit complete their assignments in full. And 9/10 candidates would recommend the process to their hiring managers.
“I liked the fact that I had to use git and was able to use my preferred tools :-)” - S.R., the former candidate
“The task, on the whole, was excellent, clear instructions but with enough room for personal interpretation.” - J.M., former candidate
“The feedback that we received from the candidates about their experience was overwhelmingly positive - specifically regarding the ease of the process, as well as the personal and engaging experience the process offered.” - Aimee, Babbel
CodeSubmit is a flexible option for your take-home assignments
Flexible subscription levels
Are you a smaller team with limited tech hiring needs? Good news! You can choose one of our flexible monthly subscriptions and cancel at any time (like once you’ve filled your roles) and return when you need to hire again.
Need more than one or two seats? No problem, with CodeSubmit, you can let everyone on your team participate in the hiring process. All of our plans come with an unlimited number of seats.
Pricing - CodeSubmit as a HackerRank alternative
Unlimited team members
Unlimited team members
Unlimited team members
Unlimited team members
1 team members
2 team members
Custom - Call Sales
Get started today
CodeSubmit is a great HackerRank alternative. If you’re looking to use take-home challenges that are flexible and support you every step of the way, then CodeSubmit offers what you want and need.
Sign up for a FREE trial, and start inviting candidates today!